Staff Selection Commission each year recruits the Stenographer Grade ‘C’ and ‘D’ through an open competitive examination.
This post offers the best opportunity for the 12th pass candidates to be a part of central government staff. The selected candidates will get posting either in the ministries or departments under the government of India.
In this post, I will discuss the Stenographer Salary structure, allowances, duties, and facility after the 7th pay commission.
If you thoroughly check the official notification for the Steno post, there are two cadres of the same in government departments.
SSC Stenographer Salary in hand
One is Group-B, and the other is the Class-III position. You should always try for the Class-II due to a higher salary per month.
Within the Stenographer Group-B cadre, you will find the two Pay Matrix Levels 6 and 7. Here too the appearing candidates should try for the Level-7 post, due to the above said the reason.
The following table contains the Group-wise monthly salary structure, dearness allowances, conveyance support, and HRA rates for the Steno post.
|Post Name||Stenographer C||Stenographer D|
|6th CPC Pay Band||9300-34800||9300-34800||5200-20200|
|6th CPC Entry Pay||17,140/-||13,500/-||9,910/-|
|Pay After 7th CPC 1 January 2016|
|Pay Matrix Level||Level -7||Level – 6||Level – 4|
|Revised Pay Scale||44,900 – 1,42,400||35,400 – 1,12,400||25,500 – 81,100|
|Transport Allowances||1,800 – 3,600/-||1,800 – 3,600/-||1,800 – 3,600/-|
|House Rent Allowances||3,592 – 10,776/-||2,832 – 8,496/-||2,040 – 6,120/-|
|Gross Salary Per Month||57,925 – 66,909/-||46,050 – 53,514/-||33,675 – 39,555/-|
Based on the above table, Group-B Level 7 & 6, Stenographers, will get a total salary of Rs 57,925/- and Rs 46,050/- per month respectively.
The 12th pass candidates who get successfully selected for the Class-III position, such applicants will secure the salary of Rs 33,675/- per month.
The SSC Stenographer post is a central government job position, which is considered the most secure career profile among all.
The duty timing may differ due to the work and posting department. Generally, all central govt office working time starts from 9:30 AM till 6:00 PM.
The number of working days in a week also depends on the posting department. Most central govt offices in Delhi/Mumbai/Chennai/Kolkata follow the five days in a week working pattern.
|Work Type||Office /Desk Job|
|Office Timings||9:30 AM to 6:00 PM|
|Working Days||5/6 Days a Week (2nd Saturday Off)|
- Central Secretariat
- Central Vigilance Commission
- Controller General of Defence Accounts
- Comptroller and Auditor General of India
- Directorate of Forensic Science
- Election Commission of India (ECI)
- Headquarters of Armed Forces
- Indian Foreign Service (IFS)
- Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs
- President’s Secretariat
- Railway Board Secretariat
- Other Government Offices and Departments
The main work of a Stenographer is to type the letters as directed by the superiors. Here, I have listed the few job details of the post.
- Must be aware of writing in shorthand
- Preparation of the minutes of meetings
- He/she should be able to note down the dictation by the senior officers
- To draft a letter as per instructions of the controlling authority
- Tagging of the official letters and file
- Government Quarters (Based on Availability)
- Provident Fund
- LTC (Hometown and All India)
- Advance and Loan Facility
- OPD and Indoor Medical Treatment Reimbursement